Christmas is coming and along with negotiating the busy shops for some last-minute shopping and making sure there is enough food for everyone at Christmas dinner, the Christmas night out with colleagues can prove to be one of the more tricky parts of our Christmas traditions. The office Christmas party can be an enjoyable event if handled with care.
Here is our survival guide to ensure your work’s night out is a success:
- Line your stomach: The Christmas night out can often be a boozy affair so make sure you have eaten something before the drinking starts. You’ll thank yourself in the morning!
- Stay hydrated: As the alcohol flows and everyone is in high spirits, it can be tempting to drink to excess. By alternating your alcoholic drinks with a soft drink or water, you will be able to keep up with the pace of your night out much more effectively.
- Be careful with social media: Make sure any photos or status updates you post whilst on your night out are appropriate. Posting an unflattering photo of a colleague probably won’t win you any brownie points when you go back to work!
- Beware of the lowering of inhibitions: A liaison with a married colleague or your boss may seem like a good idea at the time. It isn’t!
- Be mindful of the company you are in: While many of our colleagues turn into friends, you are still socialising with people who you are in a professional relationship with. This is particularly important if your boss is attending the night out.
- Enjoy yourself: The work Christmas night out can be nerve-wracking and seem like a chore but try to relax and enjoy the company of your colleagues. It can be a great opportunity to learn more about the people you work with and bond with them outwith the workplace.
We’d like to hear your thoughts. Do you enjoy the Christmas night out with your colleagues? What makes a great office Christmas party? Do you have any Christmas party horror stories to share?